Universitas Pendidikan Nasional, or better known as Undiknas, was founded on February 17, 1969. The forerunner of Undiknas at the beginning of its establishment was an academy in the banking sector called the Bank Academy, abbreviated as AKABA. In 1976, the academy changed its name to the Academy of Finance and Banking, with the permanent abbreviation AKABA. In order to expand the scope of the educational program organized by AKABA, institutional development was again carried out in 1980 with the change from AKABA to the Sekolah Tinggi Ilmu Keuangan (STIK) Denpasar. Furthermore, in order to answer the challenges of the world of education at the tertiary level which were increasingly dynamic in the 1980s, as well as to accommodate the growing vision and mission of STIK Denpasar, in 1984 STIK Denpasar upgraded its institutional status to become a university, namely the Universitas Pendidikan Nasional (Undiknas). , an institution of higher education operating to date.
Currently, Undiknas has 11 study programs, with a composition of nine study programs at the bachelor level (S1) and three study programs at the master level (S2). Study programs at the undergraduate level are Management, Accounting, Law Studies, Communication Studies, State Administration, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Information Technology. The nine study programs at the undergraduate level are managed through three faculties, namely:
Currently Undiknas has 4 faculties, including:
- Faculty of Economics and Business (which manages the Management, Accounting and Tourism Destinations Study Program);
- Faculty of Law (which manages the Law Study Program);
- Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities (which manages the Communication Science Study Program, and the State Administration Study Program);
- Faculty of Engineering and Informatics (which manages the Civil Engineering Study Program, the Electrical Engineering Study Program, and the Information Technology Study Program).
- Past Learning Recognition Program (RPL) for study programs; Management, Accounting, Law, State Administration, Communication, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Information Technology
- Distance Learning Program (PJJ) Management Study Program.
- and Engineer Profession Program
Meanwhile, study programs at the post-graduate level include: Master of Management Study Program, Master of State Administration Study Program, Master of Law and one Doctoral Program of Management Science Study Program. These four study programs are managed through the Undiknas postgraduate program called the Undiknas Graduate School.
To respond to the challenges of the world of education which continues to change so rapidly, Undiknas always makes improvements, both in terms of facilities, infrastructure and resources. The quality of teaching staff and educational staff continues to be improved to support the process of learning, research and community service. All the efforts that have been made in order to develop and improve the quality of the implementation of the Tridharma of Higher Education at Undiknas have yielded encouraging results with the achievement of good and very good accreditation titles from the National Accreditation Board for Higher Education (BAN-PT) for study programs at Undiknas.
Apart from being accredited for each study program, Undiknas institutionally (at the university level) is also accredited by BAN-PT. Undiknas institutional accreditation rating is B (Good). This institutional accreditation is a concrete manifestation of Undiknas’ commitment to implementing the principles of good university governance in implementing education, research and community service programs.